Saturday, April 3, 2010

The epitame of all things not funny

The evidence: It all started a few days ago when I felt some irritation towards Shelbi because I found a yellow foam disc (from her foam disc gun...they're about the size of a 50 cent piece with a hole in the middle) laying on the rug in the living room. It looked like it had been picked and there were tiny pieces of laying on the rug....that I had just vacuumed. Shelbi is notorious for picking things....especially foam (you should see the Texas Rangers pointer finger we got for her...or what's left of the lettering). The next day we found what looked like flaking by our garage door. We figured it was part of the weather stripping (which it was) that had gotten crusty and needed to be replaced. Yesterday I opened our hall closet to fetch a blanket and found a few small scraps of toilet paper on the floor. I was momentarily suspicious until I remembered that Kam has learned how to unroll the toilet paper. After the unrolling, he will grab some, then proceed to tear it to pieces. Makes me laugh, but still frustrating!

It all came to a head this morning. I thought I had done well hiding the Easter candy in our closet behind some clothes that were hanging up. When I went to retrieve it, this is what I found:

Conclusion: The Easter candy was indeed raided....but not by my children. As Dallin and I talked, other things became more clear. How did we not see the signs? Oh, we saw them! We just didn't dream something like this could happen in our new home when we're only lived her for 2 months! Not to mention it is still WINTER! After some brief searching, we found the culprit....which I don't have a picture of because I was in the living room with Kam ready to scream "like a little girl" (as Gavin put it)! Dallin found the mouse in our hall closet and devised a plan to catch it then beat it to death (he got the idea from Chevy Chase on Christmas Vacation). We closed Kam's door and the bathroom door and stuffed blankets under them in the event the mouse escaped and made a break for it. We put boxes in the hall to block its escape into the living room. Gav and Shelbi were armed with bats and told that if it jumped the boxes, they were to beat the mouse! Luckily for them, Dallin caught the mouse under a towel and trapped it. That was when he looked in the closet and discovered ANOTHER surprise....


4 baby mice! Seriously, what is it with wildlife in our house? It's just gross! Because the kids LOVED the baby mice (again....ew!), Dallin decided that he couldn't just pound the mother and her babies. We would release them in the wild.....far, far, away from our house.



The mother is trapped in the towel by Dallin's left hand. The kids really wanted to keep them, but we told them no. Mice are just GROSS!



We drove the mice out of town and release them into the wild. We think this was a fluke thing (it better be) and that there are no more mice in the house. Just beware of the fumes! I don't think you can ever use too much bleach!


P.S. Maybe we should get a cat.....

5 comments:

Emily said...

not a cat fan, but i think a cat might be in order!!!! the only question is where is the daddy mouse??

Ian and Lara said...

Oh my gosh that is too funny! I can just picture you in the living room :) The little baby mice remind of when we used to feed Dallin's king snake. I would be tempted to get a cat, even though I'm allergic!

Karen said...

I would be in the living room too!!! :) Man! You guys really don't have luck with pesty creatures do you?

Abbie said...

Good thing you found the baby ones or you might have been doing the same thing again. Hopefully, that's the last of them.

Angela said...

Mice used to run inside our house in the middle of winter. I remember catching one with a butter dish once. I also remember discovering one full of maggots. Never forgot that. And yes. GRoss! Gavin's facial expression says it all. Baby mice are not cute. Sorry kids.

It's funny that Casey always associates a musty garage smell with mice. I don't think there has ever been a garage or shed or thing taken out of storage that he hasn't commented it smells like mice. He probably has a way better nose than I, but still. He's paranoid. (I'm like that with roaches, so it's cool.)

Roaches vs. Mice? Mice are easier to catch and get rid of. I'll take the mammal any day of the week.