Friday, September 25, 2009

Starting early

As Shelbi and I were driving the other day, she was trying to tell me something. This is how she starts out, "Gav, oh, Daddy, oh, Mama!" I laughed. She went through everyone's names (except Kam's) before she got to mine! I thought that didn't start until you have kids! Or maybe I've done it so many times in front of her that she's learned it!

On a more serious note, I had the neatest experience with Gavin and Shelbi several days ago. They both have been sick with fevers and coughs (no, it isn't the swine flu). After 3 days, Dallin and I decided they needed to have a blessing. The kids weren't too sure about it at first. I think they thought it was going to be some horrible ritual where they would be beaten well. After the blessing, I sat down with them and talked to them about the Priesthood, explaining that a very special prayer had been said on their behalf. Of course they asked questions about the oil and the whole process. I, of course, got teary eyed as I realized how grateful I am for the priesthood. And what a comfort it is to know that we can call upon the healing powers of Heaven.

Adding to that serious note is another one. I was talking to a girlfriend a few days ago and we were discussing being fabulous (I happen to think she is super awesome). There are days when our parenting skills mimic that of someone who needs more education in caring for children. Days like that we probably don't feel so fabulous and are pretty sure we will not be up for nomination on the good parent award. I told her that sometimes the most fabulous thing about us is that we are daughters of God. What does that have to do with the tea in China? Nothing, but even at our worst, we are still His children and that's fabulous all by itself.

0 comments: