Monday, April 27, 2009

Never underestimate....

Oh, sure, it's cute now while it's in the box! And it was cute while it played it's little heart out in the backyard with its friends! It hasn't been very cute since Dallin woke me up at 4:30 this morning (he was leaving for the hospital) to let me know that, YAY it ate some of the lettuce we put in the box for it, but, "Sorry, honey. The bad news is that I never in a million years would have thought it could jump that high." What is he talking about? He caught this little fur ball and put it in a fairly tall box (hose box fro Bracken's) and brought it in the house. I should have put my foot down, but the kids were so excited and even prayed for the little thing before they went to bed. It not only jumped out of the box, but left a trail of PELLETS on my floor! My nose will burn with the smell of bleach when I'm done. And....it's gone. It has stealthily hidden itself somewhere in my house while we were sleeping. Dallin said he would find it when he gets home, but I told him if I found it, I was going to chase it outside. He looked at me with horror and I told him simply that I was the one who was going to have to sanitize the WHOLE house! So, the bunny may be small (less than 6 inches from the top of its ears to its feet), but it can jump. The kids will be hunting all day for it.

This is a photo of the Giant Leopard Moth we caught and hatched. It started out as a very large caterpillar (black and super fuzzy with orange rings that were only visible when it was inching). He turned out beautiful! Gavin took him to school for show and tell and then we let it go. And yes, this one was in a fully enclosed cage (one of the those bugville butterfly things). The kids loved to feed him (he ate dandelions) and talk to him.

4 comments:

Ian and Lara said...

Wow, you guys are quite the little zoo! Good luck finding the rabbit

Abbie said...

You are quite the brave one to allow a rabbit. I allowed Braydon to bring home a baby chick from preschool...once. Never again will I let them bring anything like that home again. The moth however, would be a fun find.

Karen said...

At least it wasn't a snake or tarantula or something like that! Good luck finding it. That moth is very cool. I've never seen one like that before.

Angela said...

Never underestimate the wild beasts, right?

That moth is gorgeous! Good thing he didn't get loose. He might have really wreaked havoc in your house!

Luckily bunnies don't carry quite as many diseases as rodents. ;D